Friday, March 04, 2016

Looking Forward

So, I am really looking forward to better weather, so I can get into the studio and dye to my hearts content. I have quite a few new albums that need their colours documented !
I am also trying very hard to keep to the resolution I made to myself in this post at the moment... fighting the urge to allow headspace to particular demons that are continually plaguing me and repeating the Dog's lies. 
Kinda hard when you're fighting your way through a bout of insomnia, which allows the cracks to widen, and the irrationality/lack of patience seep in...
Perfect example of this was yesterday. 
Now, anyone who knows my youngest, knows he's a breath of fresh air... sails through his days without much of a care. This is something I envy, but it's also something that irritates me greatly, especially when homeworks aren't done and forms are 'misplaced'. 
It's not that I care so much about these things in a 'obey the man' kinda way, it's the fact that he's just so disorganised ! Being a mother, it's my job to help him with this life skill, and I fail miserably at it. I keep telling myself that there has to be a line where I have to stop 'helping' as he needs to learn it for himself, but eventually, the buck will always stop with me, as I am his mother.
He just has other priorities, ones that don't involve remembering where you put boring school stuff :P 
Anyway, he came home from school yesterday, and within 10 minutes of him being home, my spoons were completely gone and my head had caved in. 
One ... thing ... after ... another... 
It was like I was in the ring with myself. 
Every positive move I made was being preempted and countered.
Control lost. 
Uppercut.
Sarah down.

The crazy then decided to infect my spinning, as suddenly my plying went haywire and I was like... WTF??!!!



Plying for me is like being on autopilot, and for it to demand any attention from me denotes extreme turbulence and the need to STOP.
...so I stopped, and stayed down and out for the count.

Good job really. 

This yarn I have just finished is a beauty, if I say so myself :) 

The two main ingredients are some beautiful Merino/Bamboo (60/40) from Ginny over at Fatcatknits and some Polwarth from David at Southern Cross Fibres ... the third ply is solid merino, in a new colour I have named Grellow, because it couldn't make up if it was on Team Yellow, or Team Green :P




(top 'Budgie' Polwarth from SCF, bottom Merino/Boo from FCK)



The resulting yarn is amazing, very springy, and it shines beautifully because of the bamboo and the flashes of white/undyed fibre from that particular ply. Ginny is so right when she says that white is a colour :)




It weighs in at around 149g and prebath it measured @322 yds.

The Merino/Boo ran out first, and there was a fair amount left on the other two bobbins, so I spun some more of it, resulting in a crazy little mini-skein (on the right), as the Grellow then ran out so it was replaced in the mix with some purple.



If you'd like the chance at winning these two mini-skeins, just leave a comment for me, telling me how you are 'looking forward' and in a week from today, I'll get the carefree manshape/awesome warp tensioning Master to choose a winner :)
You'll get the handspun mini-skeins (well, they're not THAT mini, they weight 80g all together!) and a voucher code for free postage (anywhere in the world) for my etsy shop.

Please be sure to let me know how to contact you... Rav/IG username etc

Thanks for getting this far!
Much love and light to you, my friends :)

10 Comments:

Blogger ambermog said...

Lends Babylonglegs my boots to kick the black dog with. I am looking forward to Wonderwool, a chance to meet up with friends from far and wide if my lovely husband is well enough. He too is looking forward to wonderwool.. Hey we need to focus on the good stuff when the crap threatens to overwhelm. Sending much love Sarah from us two xx

2:57 PM  
Blogger Fiona @ Mamas Little Baby Loves... said...

I'm looking forward to Edinburgh Yarn Festival! Meeting old friends and splurging on new fluffy stuff! Lovely mini skeins - I'm finonieb on Rav :-)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kota said...

Like Ambermog I am looking forward to Wonderwool but the jury is still out if I can attend but at least we are on the flip side of winter weather with there being more and more light each day. I use my fibre obsession to try an counteract my life issues each day I am trying to find a little joy each day with my yarn projects.

7:44 PM  
Blogger BrownBerry said...

I committed last fall when I turned 40 that I would only make space for the following things: things that make me better, make me happy, and make me money (borrowed that from a great IG post I saw recently). So Looking Forward to all the benefits that are to come with age and experience and all the wonderful things that are to come my way; and looking forward to as much time with yarn-induced relaxation throughout this year.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Cottonon said...


I am looking forward to a family gathering tomorrow and (hopefully) photographing my two Granddaughters wearing their Igloo Hats (by our mutual friend WoollyWormhead). The girls lift my spirits whenever I see them:-)
Also,next weekend we are going to see my Stepdaughter in an amateur production of "Hairspray" she has a wonderful voice!
Being retired, I have plenty of knitting time and look forward to my Knit and Knatter group every Tuesday!

Enjoy your boy, he will grow up so quickly.

Much love from Mr. C and me xx

Cottonon (Pat)

8:46 AM  
Blogger Lesley B said...

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again at Fibre East, together with all the other shows this year. It's going to be greeeeeeeeat! Spinzilla took my spinning so far in such a short space of time, I'd recommend it to anyone so I am also looking forward to the event again this year and honing my skills again producing some art yarns.
Happy spinning everyone :-)

Lesley Makes on Rav

1:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I soo want to win !
Apart from looking forward to that happy possibility, I am looking forward to finishing the 4th single of my 4ply BLL project this weekend, and maybe even plying if I can construct a makeshift 4 bobbin lazykate from a shoe box and knitting stix!

1:34 PM  
Blogger fibreclaireUK said...

I am looking forward to moving the last of the furniture into the right room, and having a craft room : )

1:00 AM  
Blogger Two Wednesdays said...

That sounds like a particularly tough day :-(. Hope today is better.

I'm looking forward to Spring - and sock knitting - I've got a real yen for it at the moment - so much so I already have 2 pairs on needles and am having to stop myself casting on a 3rd!

I love the look of your hand spun - I'm in awe of anyone who can do that.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Glindagw said...

I might still make it into the draw. I got distracted by your blog & then beautiful yarn.

It was great to see you celebrate your son's free spirit first. The timing was perfect. I was caught in frustration with the details & it's good to remind myself about the joyful side of my teen along with the growing pains. --Glindagw

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home