Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Am I over-reacting???

I went into my kids' school today, into Lower school (reception to yr 3, 5 to 8 yr olds) and as I went through the corridors, by the big double exit doors I saw..........

............An advertising board, just like the ones you get on bus shelters, but not as bulky....advertising nintendo DS games.....

I was appalled....!!!!

School is supposed to be for learning, and fun etc.....not to have "stuff" thrown at you, albeit a little subliminally, which is even worse.....on the wall near the doors in and out...just to remind the children they might "need" this item

Our children are bombarded by must have items etc, all year round on the TV and various other places (...not to mention the fact it steps up a gear at Christmas...)

I went straight to the school office, after talking to a few other Mums about it....and the Head of Lower School has a message on his desk to call me about it.Ok, I accept they might get some revenue from having it there, but surely they could raise funds in a more ethical manner???

Grrrrr...... will let you know how I get on.....

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Shocked! No you're not over-reacting - hope they rethink this silly funding idea and come up with something a bit more original!

Sarah X

10:44 PM  
Blogger Spinningfishwife said...

You're right. That's ridiculous. Our school/local council policy only allows advertising for sports, educational and cultural events, like the local pantomime. And that's only on the board by the office door, so mostly for parents. I'm hardly the most PC of mothers but your tale shocked even me.Give your Head hell, and the school board, and the local press if necessary.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Yoshimi said...

As one of your most capitalist and consumerist friends, I would have stood outside the office causing a scene until they took it down! Good for you! (p.s. I have also taken to checking the height of lads mags in wh smith ;)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

That is a new level of pathetic money generation from schools.

There is a positive side - at least its not advertising the Wii! They are impossible to get hold of.

Thanks for my comment, nice to know I have a reader. And also no, you aren't overreacting.

1:56 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

I would have totally blown my gasket.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's so so wrong.

I think schools should be an advertisement free zone.

I must read up on what I'd heard about Pepsi putting vending machines in schools and then sponsoring stuff like sports day. Or maybe it was Coke.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home